Friday 24 February 2012

Room, Emma Donoghue




I have just finished “Room” and probably haven’t had a real chance to really think about and digest everything that happened.  I enjoyed reading the story from Jack’s point of view.  I also like the fact that you never get to know Ma’s name and there isn’t much dwelling on how she came to be in this room.  This story is solely about Jack and his journey and I was pleasantly surprised at how it wasn’t too taxing on the ol’ emotions.  Don’t get me wrong, it tugged on the heart-strings in places, but I was expecting a totally different type of story.

This is such a sad story but a great illustration of how people can survive in less than perfect conditions.  How Ma structures their days and has a set routine for the Scream Game, exercise, and even games utilizing the television, is both admirable and clever.  Telling Jack that everything on television isn’t real is another strategy for keeping him happy within these walls, given this is the only world he’s aware of.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout this book and found it to be a real page-turner.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thoroughly.

On the cover of this book it reads:

'Room' is a book to read in one sitting.  When it’s over, you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days.

I’m sure I will be going over and over this story tonight before I go to sleep and more in the coming days.  I’m looking forward to talking to my book club girls about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment